Dawn is inspired by her prairie surroundings, the distant mountains, and by her strong connection to the ocean. Her past work has explored the ideas of place and migration.
Her current studio work is a body of sculptural pieces telling a story about the plight of bees. Using metaphors and a symbolic vocabulary, she creates sculptural compositions meant to engage the viewer.
Dawn earned a Bachelor of Fine Art from the Massachusetts College of Art in 1996 and a Master of Fine Art from The Ohio State University in 1998. She has taught at College and University levels, and has given lectures, workshops, and demonstrations in the ceramic arts and mosaic making. In 2009 she was awarded the Lieutenant Governor General Emerging Artist Award.
Ceramic Art Portfolio
Suitcases and Shoes
- 2009 - Alberta Crafts Council Magazine, Cover Image “Immense Mode Maquette, Public Art
- 2007 - Alberta Crafts Council Magazine, Cover Image “ Prairie Canary”, All About Alberta
- 2007 - 500 Tiles, Lark Books, 6x6 Animal Tiles
- 2005 - Making And Installing Hand Made Tiles, Lark Books, 2005
Awards and Recognition
- 2008 - Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Emerging Artist Award, Edmonton, Alberta
- 2005 - Award Of Achievement, Alberta Crafts Council, Edmonton, Alberta
- 2004 - Mayors Award, City of Red Deer, Alberta